Re: simple editor required

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:10:16 +0200

"Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:

> Unfortunately this command doesn't work.  I get the same old
> same old...
>
> DEL runs the command backward-delete-char-untabify

Please type x, then hit the delete key, then C-h l.  Then you can see
what Emacs sees when you hit the delete key.  Suppose you see

    ... x frumple gargle C-h l

in the lossage buffer.  Then do

(global-set-key (kbd "<frumple> <gargle>") 'delete-char)

Alas, it is not obvious when do you have to add the angle brackets
and when you should not add them.  As a rule of thumb, if it looks
like a normal character, possibly with modifiers, then do NOT use
<...>.  When it looks like a function key, DO use <...>.
Additionally, there are some special keys, that look like function
keys, but aren't.  You can recognize them from the upper case.  So
RET, TAB, SPC, LFD, DEL are *not* function keys whereas prior, next,
f3, delete, tab *are* function keys.

When you see C-f3, put C-<f3> into the string (<C-f3> will also
work), including the <...>.

--
This line is not blank.