Horizontal split in display-buffer?

From: Chris Stork
Subject: Horizontal split in display-buffer?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:20:28 -0700

I use emacs with wide frames that easily fit two windows next to each other. Often Emacs (version 21.3) destroys this this horizontal split, eg when I type `2' over a buffer in buffer-list. The documentation hints at display-buffer.

Is it possible to make display-buffer split the frame horizontally instad of vertically if the frame width is greater than, say, 160 columns?

(BTW, in which file is display-buffer defined?)

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it,
Chris