Minibuffer and Dabbrev problems

From: K T Ligesh
Subject: Minibuffer and Dabbrev problems
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:06:13 +0530

Greetings,

 I am a new convert to the Church of Emacs; 10 days ago I was a hardcore Vim
User. June 6th is a momentous day for me...

 But I am facing certain problems with Emacs.

 1) Minibuffer Error Messages:

  When I move around in the minibuffer, I get error messages like "End of
History" and the message persists for a few seconds which is extremely
irritating. I searched and found that the error messages are -built into- the
search-previous-history commands etc..

  Is there anyway I can change it to a simple (ding)... I know I can redefine
the whole function, but is there any other way?

  I could redifine the "error" function but I couldn't find a way to 'return'
smoothly out of a lisp function. Is that the standard way?

  Those error messages are really screwing up my brain. Sort of like
speedbreakers that block my flow of thought.. So I would like some help before
I go completely insane...

 2) My spite with Dabbrev is a little more complex..

 Is there a way to get the "PREVIOUS" Match in Dabbrev?

 M-/ circulates through the matchlist in the forward direction, but since I am
person who types faster than my eyes (Or my brain) can follow (And hence I
catch the match only after it has been replaced by the next one), I need a
mechanism to backtrack to the previous match of the Dabbrev..

 Again after reading the bloody function, I couldn't figure out a simple way to
implement this..

 VIm's abbrev (C-n, C-p) mechanism can go in BOTH directions.

 Thanks in advance

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com :: http://lxlabs.com ::