Re: simple editor required

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: 16 Jun 2003 09:48:49 -0400

>> (define-key emacs-lisp-mode-map (kbd "DEL") 'delete-char)
> AND THE WINNER IS!!!  :-)

Actually, I think the best answer for you is

   (define-key function-key-map "\C-?" "\C-d")

> Xemacs.  I would have thought this situation would have
> come up all the time for the presumably large number of
> people who want that behaviour of DEL doing a delete-char.

DEL is for backward deletion, so the number of people who want to
use it for forward deletion is rather small.  If your `delete' key
sends a DEL, then the best answer is generally to fix the thing
that makes it work that way (typically, the console or the text-terminal)
so that it sends some other key sequence.

        Stefan