Re: Elisp: Search a File Without Visiting?

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: Elisp: Search a File Without Visiting?
Date: 17 Jun 2003 08:02:24 -0700

    Tad> My question: is it possible (using elisp) to search the
    Tad> contents of the thesaurus file *without* loading it into a
    Tad> buffer?

You could use, or duplicate the code of, the `grep' command.  That
simply runs `grep' in a subprocesses and captures the output in a
buffer.

--
In the practice of computing, where we have so much latitude for
making a mess of it, mathematical elegance is not a dispensable

        -- Edsger W. Dijkstra: My Hopes of Computing Science (EWD  709)
        http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd07xx/EWD709.PDF