Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:53:26 GMT

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote in
message 5lr85sbs0w.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu">news:5lr85sbs0w.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu...
> > In text mode, if my file looks like:
>
> > aaaa
> > bbbb
> > cccc
>
> > Hitting enter at beginning of aaaa line creates a newline plus an indent of
> > 8 spaces.
>
> I don't see this with any combination of Emacs-20.7, Emacs-21.3, text-mode,
> indented-text-mode, paragraph-indent-text-mode, newline, newline-and-indent.
> It's probably a bad interaction with your config.

I've used a simpler version of .emacs, and what I got was a
blank line, and then on the next line I got a single tab in front
of my "aaaa".  I confirmed that if either of the last two things
in my .emacs are absent, I do not get that behaviour, I simply
get a blank line.

; Switch off any crap the installation has
(setq inhibit-default-init 't)

; Don't let emacs guess what file types I am editting
(setq auto-mode-alist '() interpreter-mode-alist '())

; Always assume text mode
(setq-default default-major-mode 'text-mode)

; Indent whenever you hit enter
(global-set-key [?\C-m] 'newline-and-indent)

BFN.  Paul.