Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:01:44 GMT

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote in
message 5ln0g87dki.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu">news:5ln0g87dki.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu...
> > There is nothing illogical about micro-emacs's behaviour.
>
> And there's nothing illogical about Emacs's behavior either,

It is.  The "maybe" means it doesn't always indent.  And it
shouldn't, when it is quite obvious the user already has text
on that line, and doesn't need it indented.  If they had wanted
it indented, they would have pressed tab, not enter.

Indentation is meant to apply to a NEW line, not an existing
line.  It's meant to put blanks there ready for you to optionally
start typing real characters, and then delete them later if they
are not already there.

It is not meant to trash existing lines!  Nor is it meant to get
so confused on the first line, that it just indents 8 spaces, even
when my tab setting is 4, and there's not even a prior line to
inspire it to do something that silly.

BFN.  Paul.