Re: Samba in Emacs?

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Samba in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:44:56 -0700

Michael Albinus <Michael.Albinus@alcatel.de> writes:

>> How cool.  Anyone know how to delete a directory using smb from unix
>> to win (under emacs as above).  The normal dired methods to create or
>> delete a dir do not work here.
>>
>> However smbclient //MACHINE/SHARE -UAdministrator
>> PASSWORD
>> rmdir dir
>>
>> Does work.  How can I pass that command thru emacs?
>
> Just checked with my Tramp 2.0.35. You're right, creating a directory
> fails in tramp-smb-handle-make-directory-internal. I'll check next
> days why.
>

> Removing works from dired, given the directory is empty. Could you,
> please, be a little bit more verbose how it does NOT work for you?

Ok, but only if you will be more verbose about how `Removing' works
for you.  hehe : )

In my case I tried to remove an empty directory with:
place cursor on empty dir
! rm -rf *

Just now also tried
! rmdir
! rm
In both cases, with and without asterisk
The directory is unaffected and no error is thrown.