Re: Help for using emacs.

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Help for using emacs.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:54:47 -0600

Charlie wrote:

2. User open a huge text file, what is the easist way to go to the end
of the file, not just keep typing "Ctrl -v" or "M-x end-of-buffer",
that I have to type that many letters to make it happen.

M->

And also if I
want to remove a large chunk of it, I know that we can highlight that
chunk from the beginning to the end, then type "Ctrl K" to remove it.
How ?

C-w (not C-k)

3. In a file to replace a keyword, I can do either "global replace" or
"replace it one after another". Can someone tells me how to do it in
the former way ?

M-x replace-string

5. This is very common question I guess. Right now cross all the
platforms, the most popular edit tools being used are "vi" and
"emacs". I know a little about vi, which is used more common than
emacs!? So sometimes when I was trying to edit a file in my
colleague's machine, I find myself in a situation that emacs is not
available!!!

vi may be installed by the OS vendor (as may emacs), but you can always
install emacs yourself.

If your colleague's machine is available on the network, you can edit
files there from your own machine: C-x C-f /user@host:/dir/file RET

(see the Remote Files section of the online Emacs manual).

I am just wondering is there any other tools that I can use, or vi is
the only option.

vi is not an option.