Re: isearch 'current' word

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: isearch 'current' word
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:19:34 -0600

Robert Hundt wrote:

I'm sure this question has been asnwered a thousand times - sorry... ;-)

By people who are too lazy to read the manual, I guess.

| Incremental Search
| ==================
|    The characters `C-y' and `C-w' can be used in incremental search to
| grab text from the buffer into the search string.  This makes it
| convenient to search for another occurrence of text at point.  `C-w'
| copies the word after point as part of the search string, advancing
| point over that word.  Another `C-s' to repeat the search will then
| search for a string including that word.  `C-y' is similar to `C-w' but
| copies all the rest of the current line into the search string.  Both
| `C-y' and `C-w' convert the text they copy to lower case if the search
| is currently not case-sensitive; this is so the search remains
| case-insensitive.

* I would like to have sort of an incremental search - but starting
automatically with the "current" word, so I don't have to type it in...

For example, if my cursor stands on beginning of word foo below:
  int foo() { ....

Typing a "new-magic-key" should automatically perform a forward isearch
using foo.

C-s C-w