Re: Samba in Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Samba in Emacs?
Date: 03 Jul 2003 21:14:21 -0400

> That's clear. The point is that substitute-in-file-name is not called
> only once.

That'd be a bug.

> For example, if you use partial-completion-mode, the
> filename in the minibuffer will be passed through
> substitute-in-file-name by PC-do-completion.

Sounds like a bug there.  It probably fails to requote the $ chars.
Please use M-x report-emacs-bug to get it fixed.

> I've tried to handle this special case by a defadvice for
> PC-do-completion, but this is far from being perfect.

Fixing the code directly is much better.  Of course if you need
to deal with backward compatibility it's more difficult.

> And nobody can
> guarantee that substitute-in-file-name is called only once stepping
> through all filename operations.

We can't guarantee anything anyway, but we can tell that it's a bug
and fix it when we see it.

        Stefan