Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:12:07 +0200

"D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:

> Now I'm a bit puzzled. The commands not working from within AucTeX was
> something I assumed was wrong with tex-site.el. But the fact that latex
> isn't found in Emacs from either M-! or M-x shell whilst there are no
> problems in OS X's terminal is puzzling me. Emacs doesn't maintain it's
> own $PATH variable does it? I thought it just picked it up from whatever
> your login shell was. Although as this stuff just works on Linux, and I am
> very unused to BSD in general and OS X in particular I don't suppose that
> what I think is very significant!

The problem is that MacOS has multiple ways to set $PATH.  When you
log in to the GUI, one way is used, when you start a Terminal, it
starts a shell, which reads its shell init files, and thus uses a
second way.

I'm guessing that the path is set in the shell init files, but not
when you log in via the GUI.
--
~/.signature