Re: mac os x mouse wheel

From: tristero
Subject: Re: mac os x mouse wheel
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 18:17:28 GMT

In article <bNXNa.13668$GF2.3022519@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Bruce Ingalls wrote:
> Anyone have luck supporting the mouse wheel under OS X, for
> XEmacs or Emacs?

In what window system?  (X)Emacs runs in three of them in osx.

For the X11 clients it's exactly the same as in any other XFree86,
assuming you're using either Apple's X11 or XDarwin.  Executing
(mwheel-install) works for me in emacs 21.3.1 and xemacs 21.4.13 (+
sumo)

For the carbon/aqua port of gnu emacs 21.3, it's likewise sufficient
to execute (mwheel-install).

If you're running in a Terminal window, maybe you could get mwheel
support by installing some third-party usb mouse driver that lets you
redefine the wheel actions.  I don't know whether this would work or
not, since I've never seen any reason to install another driver.  With
the built-in driver, forget it -- wheel-scroll actions are grabbed by
Terminal.app for scrolling its own buffer before emacs ever gets a
chance to see them.