Re: confused by tramp

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: confused by tramp
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:18:44 GMT

Sam Steingold wrote:
I use w2k with cygwin.
I've tried various incantations of shells (eshell, term,
shell) and SSH/SCP programs under Emacs to support Tramp.

I highly recommend working with Kai, to try to shake out
the problems you are having, as this will result in a
more useful product for us, the public.
Kai also smart & helpful.

When you want a fast solution (whilst you work with Kai,
as above), I've had help on this recommendation, and it works
for me:
Install plink.exe from <url: http://www.openssh.org/ >
My understanding is that USA law restricting 128 bit crypto was
largely dropped under Bill Clinton's presidency.
Just don't export it to Cuba, nor al Qaeda.

[optional?]
Run plink once from the command line, just to generate your
private key.

Download the latest Tramp, which masks a w32 bug in Emacs, which
chops the last 2 chars from your password.
Or, just add 2 junk chars to the end of your password.
UserID may or may not be affected.
Feel free to also report this bug; perhaps quantity of reports will
get noticed.