(Flaw in) tab completion of email addresses in mail buffer

From: Kaustuv
Subject: (Flaw in) tab completion of email addresses in mail buffer
Date: 10 Jul 2003 01:18:26 -0700

Hi all,
  I wrote a elisp function, which is supposed to do the following:
When in the mail mode pressing TAB shall either work as a normal TAB if the
begining of the line where tab was pressed does not has string
"To:". However if the begining of the line is "To:" then it simple calls
bbdb-name-completion function to complete the email address.

(defun bbdb-tab-complete-name
  "Tab complete name using BBDB database "
  (interactive)
  (setq p (point))
  (beginning-of-line)
  (setq tag (read (current-buffer)))
  (goto-char p)
  (if (string= tag "To:") (bbdb-complete-name)))

(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (local-set-key [(tab)] 'bbdb-tab-complete-name)))

Even though I can exectue each line of the function correctly when I call
the function as a whole I get Invalid-Function. Can some one suggest why?

Regards
Kaustuv