RE: Printing from Emacs

From: Harter, Douglas
Subject: RE: Printing from Emacs
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:51:49 -0400

> > If I do a
> > lp -d epitpl02 .profile
> > .profile prints to the printer.
> >
> > However, if I do a
> > (setq printer-name "epitpl02")
> > and evaluate it (or let it in .emacs and restart emacs) and try to
> Print
> > Buffer on any file in emacs, I do not get a printer listing.
>
> > Anyone know why????
>
> Because printing from Emacs is not that simple. :)
>
> Seriously, there are some other things that need to be set before you
> can print from Emacs.  My .emacs sets the following:
>
> (setq  lpr-command "lpr")
> (setq  ps-lpr-command "lpr")
>
> Which tells Emacs that for normal printing use the unix lpr
> command and
> for post-script printing use the lpr command.  You may or may not want
> to use the lpr command.  (You did not say but from your
> message it looks
> like you are on a unix system).

I set the 2 variables as you said and the print did not like lpr. I set them
back to lp (which is what they were before, according to what the variables
evaluated to in the scratch buffer) and the print executed, but I got no
output on the printer again.

I am on a Sun Unix system.

According to the documentation, everything is set up as it should be.

As a clarification on the printers, they are Windows LPD print servers.  I
don't know if that might make a difference or not to emacs.