Re: Printing from Emacs

From: Puff Addison
Subject: Re: Printing from Emacs
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:06:24 +0100

Harter, Douglas wrote:

If I do a lp -d epitpl02 .profile
.profile prints to the printer.

However, if I do a (setq printer-name "epitpl02") and evaluate it (or let it in .emacs and restart emacs) and try to
Print
Buffer on any file in emacs, I do not get a printer listing.
Anyone know why????
Because printing from Emacs is not that simple. :)

Seriously, there are some other things that need to be set before you
can print from Emacs.  My .emacs sets the following:

(setq  lpr-command "lpr")
(setq  ps-lpr-command "lpr")

Which tells Emacs that for normal printing use the unix lpr command and
for post-script printing use the lpr command.  You may or may not want
to use the lpr command. (You did not say but from your message it looks
like you are on a unix system).

I set the 2 variables as you said and the print did not like lpr. I set them
back to lp (which is what they were before, according to what the variables
evaluated to in the scratch buffer) and the print executed, but I got no
output on the printer again.

I am on a Sun Unix system.

According to the documentation, everything is set up as it should be.
As a clarification on the printers, they are Windows LPD print servers.  I
don't know if that might make a difference or not to emacs.
If you are using lp the printer-name will not work because the -P option ( ala lpr ) is assumed instead of -d (ala lp)
Try setting
(setq lpr-switches '("-d epitpl02 "))
leaving lpr-command as lp of course.

--