Re: Crazy idea for M-(: surround region

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Crazy idea for M-(: surround region
Date: 15 Jul 2003 18:43:47 -0400

> We need more keys.  Then we don't have to do this silly dwim stuff.

I disagree.  The shortage of keys is a problem, but it's not the only one.
The shortage of brain-power to remember the bindings is a serious problem
as well, so providing structure to the set of bindings is crucial.

But dwimishness is also a problem if it's "too sophisticated".

Maybe there should be several "universal prefix arg":
- M-0 .. M-9 : prefix arg to exec the following command N times.
- C-0 .. C-9 : prefix arg to exec the following command with an arg N
               (obviously only applies to some commands like goto-line).
- C-r : prefix arg to cause the following command to apply to the region.
- C-u : prefix arg to cause the following command to be verbose and
        to query more than usual.
- <meta>: prefix arg (usually bound to a modifier key) to cause the
          following command to work word-by-word.
- <meta-control>: prefix arg (usually bound to a modifier key) to cause the
          following command to work sexp-by-sexp.
- ...

        Stefan