Re: Directory Compare Within Emacs?

From: Timur Aydin
Subject: Re: Directory Compare Within Emacs?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:58:03 +0300

Benjamin Rutt <rutt+news@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> taashlo@sandia.gov writes:
>
>> I often find myself comparing two directory trees looking for
>> differences.  Is there any support in Emacs for doing this?
>> I'm picturing something along the lines of a cross between a two-window
>> dired and ediff (colorized differences).
>
> Check out M-x ediff-directories.

ediff-directories is really a pain to use when comparing a large
directory tree. Only a few of the files in this large tree might be
different, but in order to find that out, it seem one has to enter
every individual directory and mark same files for hiding.

I often end up opening a terminal and do a diff -qr dir1 dir2 to see
the files that are different and then manually diff those files using
ediff.

It would be a huge improvement if ediff-directories would have a mode
where it can present a flat view of the files that make up dir1 and
dir2, while color coding different files, added files and removed
files.

--
Timur Aydin