Re: Problem in building carbonated emacs on MacOS X

From: tristero
Subject: Re: Problem in building carbonated emacs on MacOS X
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:55:28 GMT

In article <eJ3Sa.100$eI1.148919@news.uswest.net>, Steven Wu wrote:
>> The current cvs sources don't build properly in osx.  I did a
>> successful build on 4-July, so if you get a cvs snapshot from that
>> date you should have a buildable source tree.
>
> Perhaps I should get that snapshot. thanks.

I just verified that this works. A later one might work too, but
you'll need definitely something earlier than the 17th.

>> ps There are unrelated problems building this emacs in jaguar with
>> gcc 3.3.  Use 3.1 instead.
> I have 3.3 installed, what's the problem with 3.3?

In this particular case, autoconf won't detect carbon properly and
will therefore ignore the --with-carbon config option.  That's with
fink's autoconf.  It just now occurred to me that it might be actually
be a fink issue -- the fink site is emphatic about not running gcc
3.3 or even installing the update.

You can switch back to 3.1 via 'sudo gcc_select 3.1'.  The 4-July
snapshot definitely builds that way in jaguar, even with fink and the
3.3 update installed.

I'm told this issue has been fixed in the panther dev tools, but I
don't know whether that's with or without fink.