SMTP mail and Verizon

From: David M. Synck
Subject: SMTP mail and Verizon
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:44:13 GMT

Hello,

I am having a problem getting smtp mail to work under GNU emacs. I
guess in the recent past Verizon changed their mail setup to require
authentication when sending mail by smtp. This is no doubt to try and
stop the flood of spam. Anyway to make a long story short I will
enclose the relevant part of my .emacs file and the backtrace from an
attempt to send mail. If someone could look this over and tell me if I
have things configured correctly or if there is something I need to do
differently, I would greatly appreciate it.

*** Excerpt from .emacs file ***

;; *** Mail settings ***

;; General environment settings
(setq user-mail-address "dms.emacs@verizon.net")
(setq user-full-name "David M. Synck")
(setq mail-archive-file-name "~/Mail/sent")
(setq mail-default-reply-to "dms.emacs@verizon.net")
(setq mail-user-agent (quote sendmail-user-agent))

;; Sendmail settings(for sending mail by SMTP)

;; Set primary outgoing mail server
(load-library "smtpmail")
(setq smtp-default-server "outgoing.verizon.net")
(setq smtp-fqdn "dms.emacs@verizon.net")
(setq send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))

;; Mail settings to provide authentication to smtp server
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(( "outgoing.verizon.net" "25" "dms.emacs" "******")))
                                                   passwd

*** Backtrace ***

250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 8388608
MAIL FROM:<dms.emacs@verizon.net> SIZE=171 BODY=8BITMIME
553 Authentication is required to send mail as <dms.emacs@verizon.net>
QUIT
221 pop015.verizon.net ESMTP server closing connection

Thanks,

David M. Synck