SMTP mail and Verizon

From: David M. Synck
Subject: SMTP mail and Verizon
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:12:08 GMT

Hello,

I am having a problem using SMTP mail through emacs. I have not really
used the emacs mail program since the beginning of this year(I have
been using Mozilla-mail instead). To make a long story short, I got
tired of Mozilla-mail crashing all the time and wanted to go back to
using emacs mail. Well, in the intervening time, Verizon has changed
their mail system. The error I keep getting is SMTP error 553
"Authentication required to send mail as user
"somename@verizon.net". I believe that I have my .emacs file
configured correctly and the smtpmail.el library is loading on
startup. I will include the relevant excerpt from my .emacs file. If
someone could look it over and tell me whether I have it right or what
I need to do to get SMTP mail working, I would greatly appreciate it.

*** Excerpt from .emacs file ***

;; *** Mail settings ***

;; General environment settings
(setq user-mail-address "dms.emacs@verizon.net")
(setq user-full-name "David M. Synck")
(setq mail-archive-file-name "~/Mail/sent")
(setq mail-default-reply-to "dms.emacs@verizon.net")
(setq mail-user-agent (quote sendmail-user-agent))
(setq rmail-movemail-program nil)

;; Sendmail settings(for sending mail by SMTP)

;; Set primary outgoing mail server
(load-library "smtpmail")
(setq smtp-default-server "outgoing.verizon.net")
(setq smtp-server "outgoing.verizon.net")
(setq smtp-fqdn "dms.emacs@verizon.net")
(setq send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))

;; Mail settings to provide authentication to smtp server
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(( "outgoing.verizon.net" "25" "dms.emacs" "password")))

Thanks in advance

David M. Synck
dms.emacs@verizon.net

Registered Linux User #291544

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."

                                - Popular Mechanics Magazine, 1949