Re: Emacs on AIX, can't find terminal init

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Emacs on AIX, can't find terminal init
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:27:55 -0600

John Richardson wrote:

I'm telnetting into the box using Kea which is set to think I'm using
a vt420. So, no x-windows. This is all brand-new on this machine. We
got enough of a critical mass that the sysadmin put emacs on for us.
Not sure where he got all the pieces since the story I heard was that
the IBM distibution kit didn't have the non-x emacs binary (implying
that other parts were missing as well).

In the old days, you could get the terminal's /etc/termcap entry, then
set the TERMCAP environment variable on the remote system to that string
before invoking emacs.  I would usually do that by writing the entry to

~/termcap/vt420 (e.g.) and then

        export TERMCAP; TERMCAP="`cat $HOME/termcap/vt420`"

But I don't know if that still works...

--
Kevin Rodgers