Re: quickly find all executables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: quickly find all executables
Date: 28 Jul 2003 16:16:09 -0400

>> This is quite amazing to me -- I thought lambda's are function
>> calls, and function calls are slow, at least on a CISC CPU like
>> the P4 that I'm running on.

The faster the CPU, the less you care about CPU speed as opposed to I/O.

> Also, did you try byte-compiling the code?  Eric's code would probably
> benefit the most, because of the lambda form.

Actually, the byte-compiler won't make any difference on Eric's code, where
as Kevin's code will probably benefit more, although I doubt the differences
will be noticeable since most of the time is probably spent in
`file-executable-p'.

        Stefan