terminal mode line color

From: Isaac Swiderski
Subject: terminal mode line color
Date: 29 Jul 2003 02:11:15 -0400

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.1.1 in terminal mode, and finding that I occasionally
can't find the menu, modeline, etc., because everything looks the same.  So I'm
looking for a way to set the colors for them in terminal mode.

I found a discussion from the emacs-devel list in December, 2000, which touches
on the subject; the poster in
[http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2000-12/msg00002.html] has used
(set-face-background) several times to set modeline, etc., colors, but they all
go away after the splash screen.  Eventually, in
[http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2000-12/msg00034.html], there is
the following response:
        The problem was that `frame-set-background-mode' was stomping on faces
        that had been modified outside of custom.

I seem to be having the same problem, but I don't know how to implement the
above.  The OP says merely the given answer solves his problem; nobody says
how.  So how do I use the information?  What do I do to disable or otherwise
deal with this function?

Thanks in advance for help or links thereto. . .
jonathon

--
Jonathon Isaac Swiderski /\ dangercat-20@dangercat.net
www.dangercat.net       //\\  www.dangercat.net/resume