Re: numeric keypad buttons

From: Tobias Verbeke
Subject: Re: numeric keypad buttons
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:40:53 +0200

> ??  Weird.  So, let me repeat slowly to be sure I'm understanding
> what is going on: you put stuff in term-setup-hook, and now C-h c
> tells you that Emacs is seeing the keypad / key as <kp-divide>.  And
> then you (global-set-key (kbd "<kp-divide>") 'forward-char), and
> then, what does Emacs answer with C-h k <kp-divide> and also for
> <kp-divide> C-h l?
>
> Let me go back to make sure what it is that you were doing...

------------------|-----------------|--------------------------|
If I type this on | C-h l gives the | C-h c gives:             |
the numeric keypad| sequence:       |                          |
------------------|---------------------------------------------
         /        |  ESC O o        |<kp-divide> is undefined  |
         *        |  ESC O j        |<kp-multiply> is undefined|
         -        |  ESC O m        |<kp-add> is undefined     |
         +        |  ESC O k        |<kp-subtract> is undefined|
         Enter    |  ESC O M        |<kp-enter> is undefined   |
__________________|_________________|__________________________|

After having put this:

(add-hook 'term-setup-hook
(lambda()
(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-divide") 'forward-char)))

in .emacs, the following results:

C-h k <kp-divide>      ESC O o is undefined
<kp-divide> C-h l      ESC O o

This is exactly the same when I put
the single line:
(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-divide>") 'forward-char)

in .emacs

Is my answer detailed enough for you
to understand where my problem is (was) ?

Thanks again for your answer,

Tobias