Re: Customizing default-buffer-file-coding-system

From: Aaron Davies
Subject: Re: Customizing default-buffer-file-coding-system
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:45:53 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:

> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > From: aaron@avalon.pascal-central.com (Aaron Davies)
> > Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:56:48 -0500
> >
> > How do I specify unix as the default coding system for new files? I'm
> > running emacs 21 under cygwin, and I want new files to be created
> > unix-mode, not dos-mode. I can't figure out how to change the variable
> > though.
>
> Is that an Emacs compiled as a Cygwin application?  If so, I'd expect
> it to do what you want by default.
>
> If Emacs is compiled with MinGW or MSVC, then please read about the
> untranslated-filesystem feature in the node "Text and Binary" of the
> Emacs manual.

It's "GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-windows98.2222)" by the splash screen.
I also have the cygwin emacs, but it looks like it would take quite a
bit of configuration to get the keyboard and mouse and so on working
right, so I'd prefer to stick with the MSVC version.

Anyway, putting (add-untranslated-filesystem "C:") in my .emacs seems to
solve the problem. Thanks!
--
Aaron Davies
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number generator.