Re: problem with keyboard input

From: Auré
Subject: Re: problem with keyboard input
Date: 2 Aug 2003 01:55:21 -0700

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message
news:<84ptjpksy3.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:
>
> > When I try to copy a part of my file, it's seems that problems
> > disappear in the new file??!!!
> >
> > If I erase a part of my file an save on the same name, problems
> > desappears too?!!!
> >
> > But when I copy all the file to the new file, problems comes back
> > ?????!!!!!!
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > It's very strange like emacs knowed when the file is complete and in
> > tex format or not??????? Have you an idea?
> >
> > Would you like I post you all the file? I'm not sure it's very usefeul
> > because I say that's with xemacs there's no problem. So, on you
> > computer, It's would be the same things that under xemacs.
>
> Here is another idea: Use M-% to replace octal escapes with the
> corresponding real characters.  Use copy and paste to put the octal
> escapes into the M-% prompt.
>
> Then there should be just a few octal escapes left that can show you
> where the problem is.

It's seems that it doesn't work to replace the octal number with the
right character because when I'm typing the new one, it's still the
octal number that's appears.

But I think I found the problem but I don't known how to change it.
It's in the coding system :

Coding system for saving this buffer:
  1 -- latin-1 (alias of iso-latin-1)
Default coding system (for new files):
  1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)
Coding system for keyboard input:
  u -- utf-8 (alias of mule-utf-8)
Coding system for terminal output:
  u -- utf-8 (alias of mule-utf-8)
Defaults for subprocess I/O:
  decoding: 1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)
  encoding: 1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)

Coding system for keybord input and terminal output would be latin-1 ?
How to change this ?

I think it's the right solution because, as I told you, using my file
in another editor like xemacs or gedit don't create problems.