Re: Command to re-read current file?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Command to re-read current file?
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:31:56 +0200

> From: lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:48:25 +0100
>
> > But this is a relatively trivial issue.  A far more important
> > question is the following meta-question:  how could I have figured
> > out the answer to the previous question on my own?  I tried apropos
> > with various query strings, such as "re-find", "re-open", "re-visit",
> > and variants thereof, but they yielded nothing.  Is there a better
> > approach to finding the command for an Emacs functionality?
>
> Well, you can try the Emacs manual.  In this case, the relevant
> part was under (info "(emacs)Files").  You were going about it
> the right way.  Another option you could have used might have
> been apropos-documentation, which searches in docstrings too.

In fact, the Info's index-search command (bound to `i' in Info mode)
would have been the perfect solution here.  I just typed "i reread
TAB" and was presented with a single possible completion: "reread a
file", which placed me right on the node "Reverting" that describes
the command revert-buffer.

Yet another win for the wonderful Info-index command.  I wish people
used it more than they do now.