Re: custom-set-faces is slow

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: custom-set-faces is slow
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:40:11 +0200

Ittay Dror <ittay@qlusters.com> writes:

> i have this in my init file:
> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "light goldenrod yellow"
   ^^^^^^^^

[...]
> :inverse-video nil)))))
>
> it takes 4 seconds (!!) to finish.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 9.1 linux with emacs version 21.2.93.1 on gtk.
>
> can you please explain why and suggest a solution?

The point is the default face here. How much time it takes to change
the default face via Lisp/Custom depends on your hardware and -- in
some cases -- on your WM. You may speed up things for certain WMs like
Ion by putting this line into you .Xdefaults or .Xresources:

Emacs.WaitForWm: false

If that does not improve much or does not improve anything at all,
you have two choices:

1. Start Emacs once and don't exit. You can use emacsclient to
   connect to your Emacs session from, say, an xterm. There are many
   of us who close Emacs only when they are going to shut down the
   operating system and let it run for weeks otherwise.

   Have a look at the Emacs manual, node “Emacs Server”.

2. Set the default face in your .Xresources or your .Xdefaults. I
   think you can only change the font with something like

   Emacs.font: -lirum-larum-*- .... -ISO8859-1

   but I am not sure. I don't use this. Have a look at the Emacs
   manual, node “X Resources”.

    Oliver
--
18 Thermidor an 211 de la Révolution