Re: ispell/flyspell and german umlauts

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: ispell/flyspell and german umlauts
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:14:03 +0200

On Wed, Aug 06 2003, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>> You might like one of the German input methods -- e.g. german-prefix
>> or german-postfix (select them with `C-x RET C-\').
>>
>> With the first method input is translated like:
>>
>>      "a -> ä, "o -> ö  etc.
>>
>> with the second like:
>>
>>      ae -> ä,  oe -> ö  etc.

Does anyone really use the latter?  I'm thinking of words that _do_
contain `ae' (not ä) etc. in German (see Oliver's posting
<uisphppkz.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de">news:uisphppkz.fsf@ID-87814.user.dfncis.de>).  Typing `aee' for `ae'
seems really weird.

> Well that is very nice indeed. I often wonder how people do this with
> with a non-German keyboard layout.

I use Alt_R+a for `ä' and so on (US keyboard layout):

cat <<EOF | xmodmap -
  keysym 1     = 1 exclam       onesuperior
  keysym 2     = 2 at           twosuperior
  keysym a     = a A            adiaeresis        Adiaeresis
  keysym o     = o O            odiaeresis        Odiaeresis
  keysym u     = u U            udiaeresis        Udiaeresis
  keysym s     = s S            ssharp
  keysym comma  = comma less     guillemotleft
  keysym period = period greater guillemotright
EOF

The advantage is, that it works for all (X-) applications, not only
Emacs.

Gernot, please check your T-Gnus and/or Emacs settings.  Your message
didn't contain a proper Content-Type header (e.g. "Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1") and you Umlaut characters were sent
as `\201ä' (character: \201 (0201, 129, 0x81); charset:
eight-bit-control (8-bit control code (0x80..0x9F))).

Maybe you have `standard-display-european' in your config files?  If
so, try to remove it.

,----[ C-h f standard-display-european RET ]
| standard-display-european is a compiled Lisp function in `disp-table'.
| (standard-display-european ARG)
|
| Semi-obsolete way to toggle display of ISO 8859 European characters.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,