Re: Alt as meta, except for certain keys, how?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Alt as meta, except for certain keys, how?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:38:54 -0600

Jussi Piitulainen wrote:

I want to use Alt as a Meta key, with the exception that certain keys
should be interpreted as ordinary unmodified characters: Alt-7 should
produce vertical bar |, Shift-Alt-7 alias Alt-/ should produce
backslash \, and there are a few others, all in ASCII.

I have managed to (global-set-key "\M-7" "|"). That works for writing
but is not a real solution. At least in an incremental search Alt-7
has already been interpreted as two keys: the escape terminates the
search and 7 is inserted in the buffer.

Try setting search-exit-option to nil.

I could not work out how to use keyboard-translate to turn Alt-7 into
vertical bar. If this is possible, could someone please show me the
concrete command? Or any other way to achieve my goal?

(keyboard-translate ?\M-7 ?|) doesn't work, because keyboard-translate-table
is a char-table, which only handles unmodified characters.

So perhaps you can use (abuse?) function-key-map:

(define-key function-key-map "\M-7" [?|])

That only takes effect if you also remove its default binding:

(global-unset-key "\M-7")

Emacs is 21.3.50.6 from 2002-11-27, a binary distribution for Mac OS
X, the keyboards are Apple's - Finnish layout - Alt is sometimes
called Option. I know I lose a couple of command bindings; I can
produce all accented letters with dead keys.

--
Kevin Rodgers