Re: Java mode indention

From: J Richardson
Subject: Re: Java mode indention
Date: 12 Aug 2003 13:03:04 -0400

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> >     Writer out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(
> >                                         "filename.log")));
> [...]
> >     Writer out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(
> >         "filename.log")));
>
> How do you deal with multiple arguments as in:
>
>      Writer out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(
>                                          "filename.log"),
>                                      secondarg));
> or
>      Writer out = new BufferedWriter(firstarg,
>                                      new FileWriter(
>                                          "filename.log")));

What it's doing now (after I tinkered with it) is:

        Writer out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(
            "filename.log"),
            secondarg);

        Writer out = new BufferedWriter(firstarg,
            new FileWriter(
                "filename.log"));

Which is ok, though I'm of two minds about the extra indent level on
the second one. If I had a lot of nested calls with multiple
parameters it would be helpful, but I don't see that much.

I don't run into lots of long nested calls except with IO Streams and
Readers/Writers in Java, and I rarely use more than one parameter with
them. As long as the wrapped line ends up far enough to the left that
I have enough space to type something useful it doesn't bother me.

Jen