Re: scrolling

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: scrolling
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:35:14 +0200

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> Setting it to 9999 solves the problem.  It's just not intuitive to me
> why.

Suppose the cursor runs off the screen.  If it was moving quick, it
might be 100 lines off-screen.  If it was moving slow, it might be
just a few lines off-screen, before scrolling takes place.

The limit says how many lines does Emacs have to scroll.  If the
cursor is further off, then Emacs doesn't scroll, it recenters.

At least that's my poor memory from the time when somebody else (Eli
or Stefan?) explained the issue.  I never thought about it much,
except that I learned to set scroll-conservatively to a high value.

But now I find that the docstring of scroll-conservatively is, err,
suboptimal.  So IWBNI somebody who groks this could explain it better.
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.