high-latency, high-bandwidth link => slow startup

From: Lars Clausen
Subject: high-latency, high-bandwidth link => slow startup
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 05:48:53 -0500

Hi!

I'm currently using emacs across the Atlantic on a fairly high-bandwidth
line (cablemodem <-> Tn).  My latency is high (~150msec ping fairly
constantly).  I find that while editing is good (sometimes with skipping,
but good enough for e.g. writing mail), the startup time is horrible.  It
can take several minutes to start up Emacs + Gnus, whereas locally it takes
a matter of seconds, and even on a text-only terminal of equivalent latency
and lower bandwidth is it much faster.  What is it about remote X that
makes the startup so slow?  Can Emacs be tweaked to work better in
high-bandwidth/high-latency situations (which I would think would become
more common as more people get high-bandwidth connections and remote use
becomes more common)?  I'm not doing graphics-heavy stuff, maybe font

Thanks in advance,
-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃ¥rdgrim of Numenor