Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: ignore CVS directories with tab complete
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:06:16 -0600

Phillip Lord wrote:

Dear all

If I start a clean emacs (-q --no-site-file), and then change into a
directory with only two sub-dirs, one of which is CVS, and then hit
tab I get...

Completions

../  ./ CVS/ uk/

With java this is a pain as there are four or five levels of empty
directories before I get to the source. As I have to move up and down
these directories many times in a day, the ability to tab
automatically up and down would be fabulous.

How about using dired to navigate the directories?
Or using filecache.el to cache your files' locations?

Now before I set about writing code

a) is there any way of getting emacs to ignore the CVS directory all
   together. That way I could move up five empty directories with five
   tabs.

b) even better, have emacs realise that there are five empty
   directories, and auto complete all the way up.

I know about completion-ignored-extensions. This includes CVS by
default, and doesn't seem to do what I need.

Does complete.el help?

--
Kevin Rodgers