Re: elisp mouse programming problems

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: elisp mouse programming problems
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:24:48 -0500

"Johan Bockgård" <bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se> wrote in message
yoijy8xnspkq.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se">news:yoijy8xnspkq.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se...
> "David Vanderschel" <DJV1@Austin.RR.com> writes:

> > In one failure case, we are talking about
> > C-down-mouse-1. ...

> I think this is relevant, particularly the second paragraph:

> (info "(elisp)Active Keymaps")

>     Normally, Emacs first searches for the key in the minor mode maps,
>     in the order specified by `minor-mode-map-alist'; if they do not
>     supply a binding for the key, Emacs searches the local map; if
>     that too has no binding, Emacs then searches the global map.
>     However, if `overriding-local-map' is non-`nil', Emacs searches
>     that map first, before the global map.

Yes, it is very relevant.  I am surprised by the fact
that minor mode maps can override a major mode map.
My problem was that the msb minor mode was enabled and
I had to disable that.  In general, I do not know how
a program like mine would know which of many unknown
possibilities for minor modes might be interfering.  I
would like for other folks to be able to use the
program, but I don't know what minor modes they may
have enabled by default.  Furthermore, it might be
rude to just start arbitrarily disabling _all_ minor
modes on the grounds that they _might_ interfere.

Is there a way for a major mode's binding to take
precedence over any minor modes?  The
overriding-local-map is not overriding enough unless
the above documentation is stated incorrectly.

Regards,
  David V.