building emacs 21.3 for Solaris 8/9

From: George Karas
Subject: building emacs 21.3 for Solaris 8/9
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:38:31 -0700

All,

I'm trying and failing to build emacs 21.3 on Solaris. I've encountered a problem that has been discussed in a number of group, including this one, but I have not found any responses on how to fix it.

I'm getting the same error on both Solaris 8 and Solaris 9. The software builds, but at the end of the make, the emacs binary fails in the following way:

Dumping under names emacs and emacs-21.3.1
715516 pure bytes used
./emacs -q -batch -f list-load-path-shadows
Fatal error (11).make[1]: *** [emacs] Segmentation Fault
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/build/gnu/build/emacs/src'

Below is the output of the configure, showing the options that I'm using. As I said, I've done this build on both Solaris 8 & 9. I've tried gcc 3.3.1 and 3.3, including ones that I've built and ones downloaded from sunfreeware. I've tried all sorts of different CFLAGS, with various levels of optimization and with and without debugging. I've included and removed the different libraries in the list below. I've also tried alternating the toolkits between Motif and Lucid.

Configured for `sparc-sun-solaris2.9'.

Where should the build process find the source code? /usr/local/build/gnu/emacs-21.3
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/sol2-5.h' and `m/sparc.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -O3
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          MOTIF
  Where do we find X Windows header files?          /usr/openwin/include
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?             /usr/openwin/lib
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   yes

ALL builds, regardless of options (and that doesn't surprise me), produce the same result above!

I've tried doing a traceback of the core file, looking at it with gdb, and doing a truss of the emacs call. I haven't found out anything that helps me.

I'm completely stumped. I have no idea how to build this, and I'd really appreciate any help that anyone could give me!

Thanks!

-george karas

Jet Propulsion Laboratory