Re: elisp mouse programming problems

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: elisp mouse programming problems
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:20:01 -0600

David Vanderschel wrote:

"Alex Schroeder" <alex@emacswiki.org> wrote in message
87y8xnfbip.fsf@emacswiki.org">news:87y8xnfbip.fsf@emacswiki.org...

"David Vanderschel" <DJV1@Austin.RR.com> writes:

How can a general purpose program like I am trying to make know, in
general, which minor modes it must disable in order to work
properly?  I feel that I must still be missing something here.

I think you have just discovered one of the weaker points in the Emacs
user interface design.  The problem is, nobody knows what to do about
it.  :)  ...

One possibility that did occur to me last night was
that my program could itself introduce a new minor
mode, invoke it, and do something to assure that its
keymap is at the front of the list.  Then it _could_
override the bindings of other minor modes.  Yet you
did not suggest this solution.  Is there some reason
why it would not work?

Since another minor mode might prepend its (VARIABLE . KEYMPAP) entry to

minor-mode-map-alist later, you would have to continually check and possibly

modify it, perhaps with post-command-hook.  It'd be a bit of a performance hit,
and not very elegant.

--
Kevin Rodgers