Re: How make comment-region NOT ignore blank lines but comment out those

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: How make comment-region NOT ignore blank lines but comment out those too?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:38:53 +0200

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:

> I noticed that the empty lines when they get commented have whitespace
> after the comment character.....
>
> e.g. a blank line ---> "#  \n"
> instead of                 "#\n"
>
> Is it too much to ask to try to make comment-region change blanks to
> "#\n" instead of "# \n"????

I don't think that's currently possible (you could send a bug report
and suggest it).

You can get rid of the padding after the comment character with (setq
comment-padding nil), but that also removes it from non-empty lines.

There might be one small advantage with padding of empty lines -- if
you later decide to write something on it, then the text will already
be aligned.