Re: cookbook-like "idiots" recipe for grabbing a CVS emacs?

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: cookbook-like "idiots" recipe for grabbing a CVS emacs?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:40:19 +0100

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> Could someone show me some
> "for total-dummies" recipe for actually grabbing the CVS emacs?

cd into the directory you would like the emacs sources to be in.
(for example, I put all my cvs snarfed programs into /build)

then type:
cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login

when you are prompted for a password just press return.
(the password for anonymous access is the empty string)

then type:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
(co means checkout)

bingo!  you should have an emacs source tree.

Read emacs/INSTALL-CVS, especially:

Some of the files that are included in the Emacs tarball, such as
byte-compiled Lisp files, are not stored in the CVS repository.
Therefore, to build from CVS you must run "make bootstrap"
instead of just "make":

  $ ./configure
  $ make bootstrap

After some time has passed you might want to update your sources, to
get recent changes.  I'm not sure what is the best way to do that,
but a straightforward way is to type:

cvs up

from within the emacs directory.