Why adding this write-file-hook makes save-buffer not work anymore!??

From: Christian Seberino
Subject: Why adding this write-file-hook makes save-buffer not work anymore!??
Date: 28 Aug 2003 12:14:02 -0700

I want to delete a lot of whitespace when I save a file so I make
following function be invoked when I write a file....

   (defun cs-delete-trailing-whitespace() (interactive)
      (delete-trailing-whitespace)
      (let ((original-pos (point)))
         (goto-char (point-max))
         (delete-blank-lines)
         (goto-char original-pos)))

and I set up hook like this

(add-hook            'write-file-hooks        'cs-delete-trailing-whitespace)

When I try to do save-buffer it does not work?? What is the problem?!?!

Chris