Re: Newbie: Compiling Emacs 21.2 with MinGW

From: lawrence mitchell
Subject: Re: Newbie: Compiling Emacs 21.2 with MinGW
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:37:54 +0100

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> I'm trying to compile Emacs 21.2 (it's the most recent tarball I could
> find,
> emacs-21.3.tar.gz seems to be still down) with MinGW.  I have no
> experience
> whatsoever using Windows and MinGW...

> Anyhow, I installed MinGW and MSYS.  I added c:\mingw\bin and
> c:\msys\1.0\bin to %PATH%.  Then I went to the emacs-21.2/nt directory
> and invoked:

I've never compiled a release tarball for Emacs with mingw,
however, I can offer my experiences for compiling the CVS
version.  I think the one problem you might find (and that I
certainly ran into a few times) is the problem of end-of-lines in
files needing to be unix rather than dos.  With the wincvs port
of cvs, this involved checking out files using the --lf option.
If you unpack tarballs with winzip, I think there's an option to
"preserve end of line encoding" or something similar.

Other than that, none of the steps you went through seemed
unreasonable ;).

[...]

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>