Re: Newbie: Compiling Emacs 21.2 with MinGW

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Newbie: Compiling Emacs 21.2 with MinGW
Date: 03 Sep 2003 13:46:41 +0200

> From: Kai.Grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Grossjohann)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 2 Sep 2003 05:06:55 -0700
>
> Anyhow, I installed MinGW and MSYS.  I added c:\mingw\bin and
> c:\msys\1.0\bin to %PATH%.  Then I went to the emacs-21.2/nt directory
> and invoked:
>
>     configure --prefix=c:\programme\emacs-21.2
>
> It told me to run gmake.  I don't have gmake.  So I ran make instead,
> which
> gave an error.  Running make again gives the following output:
>
> E:\src\emacs\emacs-21.2\nt>make
> [Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
> /bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
> /bin/sh.exe: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> Using /bin/sh.exe as shell.
> make - --unix -C ../lib-src all

Does this mean you have a Cygwin port of Bash (identified above as
"/bin/sh") and a Cygwin port of GNU Make?  If so, please make sure
you are not using a version of Make that is marked as "fails" in the
nt/INSTALL file.

In general, unless you already did, please read the file nt/INSTALL
in its entirety, especially the Troubleshooting section, and see if
something there applies to your installation.

Finally, what version of GCC do you have?

> w32fns.c:13973:1: directives may not be used inside a macro argument
> w32fns.c:13963:16: unterminated argument list invoking macro
> "DEFVAR_LISP"
> w32fns.c: In function `syms_of_w32fns':
> w32fns.c:13974: `DEFVAR_LISP' undeclared (first use in this function)
> w32fns.c:13974: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> w32fns.c:13974: for each function it appears in.)
> w32fns.c:13974: parse error before string constant

Please show the offending lines cited by the compiler, and the
definition of DEFVAR_LISP (on lisp.h, IIRC) in that version of Emacs
(sorry, I don't have that version handy to look at it).