Inhibit line-breaking inside syntactic elements

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Inhibit line-breaking inside syntactic elements
Date: 04 Sep 2003 06:11:21 -0700

I am currently writing a major mode for the Wiki markup language used
in Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org), and I need help figuring out
how to stop filling functions from breaking lines inside certain
syntactic constructs.

In Wiki markup, links are surrounded by two sets of braces,
[[like this]]. For various reasons, the entire link should be placed
on the same line, so I need to prevent auto-fill and fill-paragraph
from automatically inserting newlines inside such a construct ([[like
this]]).

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

-- Yidong