Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 18:39:08 +0200

Mark Plaksin <happy@usg.edu> writes:

> Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:
>
>> We just fixed the problem of things not being properly aligned in
>> CVS Emacs.  I do not recognize your problem of term not using more
>> than half of the window.  Could you check out the latest CVS and
>> see if the problem still exist?  If so, could you read the bug
>> reporting section of the Emacs manual (C-h i d m Emacs RET m Bugs
>> RET) and write a bug report to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org?
>
> My main problem seems to have been using Debian unstable.  With
> Debian woody and CVS Emacs, it's much better.  Almost all of the
> rest of my problems went away when I compiled eterm.ti on all of the
> hosts and set TERM to eterm.

So, which problems remain?

> In the past CVS Emacs has behaved the same in both woody and
> unstable.  With CVS Emacs in unstable I still have the "only uses
> half the screen" problem.  There are other problems as well even
> with TERM set to eterm.
>
> I'm guessing that you don't want bug reports about Debian unstable
> since it is unstable.

It is possible that there are bugs in Emacs that show up on Debian
unstable and not on Debian stable.  If you are reasonably sure that
the problems you are experiencing are due to a bug in Emacs, we very
much like to hear from you.  (Take a look a the Emacs Manual for some
guidelines with respect to bug reporting.)

> Do you have any clues about where I might look for the solution on
> my own?

I don't know much about terminals, but maybe you can try to debug it?
The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual (included with CVS Emacs) has a
chapter on debugging lisp.  You could use the source level debugger to
see what goes wrong on Debian unstable.  (Additionally, you can use
the debugger on Debian stable to see how things should go.)

  Lute.

--
(spook) => "cryptanalysis AVN csim"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")