Re: Installing Emacs 21.3

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Installing Emacs 21.3
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:49:49 +0200

"Tim" <tts1@cec.wustl.edu> writes:

>    I am trying to install Emacs 21.2 on my laptop (running XP). I download
> the .tar file, and run Winzip and unzip the files to a directory
> (c:\java\emacs), but all the help I can find tells me to go to the bin
> folder. My "emacs-21.2" folder that is created does not have a bin folder.
> Nor does it have the "runemacs.exe" file the site I am looking at
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html#unpack-install) tells
> you to run. However, I do have a "runemacs.c" file in a folder
> "emacs-21.2\nt. Opening this file brings up a text file with some comments
> and what looks like executable code.
>    As I do not have the bin folder, I am unsure of what to do. Does anyone
> have any advice?

You probably downloaded just the source code.  It needs to be compiled
first, before you can run Emacs.  On a windows system, this maybe
difficult.  Best try and look for an Emacs that is already compiled
for windows.

  Lute.

--
(spook) => "INSCOM MD5 New World Order"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")