Re: problem with mule-utf-8 ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: problem with mule-utf-8 ?
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:17:48 +0200

> From: Pascal Bourguignon <spam@thalassa.informatimago.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 06 Sep 2003 16:59:24 +0200
>
> So,  what's  the  matter?  I  thought that  unicode  inclued  all  the
> characters,  and  that  utf-8  was  able  to  transcribe  all  unicode
> character, or not?
>
> Of course, I insist and save  it with utf-8 encoding, then when I load
> this utf-8 file later, I get rectangle frames instead of katakana...

In what version of Emacs?  All released versions of Emacs support
only part of the BMP.  Specifically, these ranges of Unicode
codepoints are supported:

  0100..33ff
  e000..ffff

If katakana characters are not in these ranges, you cannot have them
in unicode.

The CVS version of Emacs can (I think) convert katakana to Unicode
when encoding and decoding text.  I also think you can have this with
released versions if you install ucs-tables (look on
gnu.emacs.sources).