Re: signal-USR1-hook woes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: signal-USR1-hook woes
Date: 08 Sep 2003 08:27:09 +0200

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: bjdouma@xs2.xs4all.nl (Bauke Jan Douma)
>
>       (message "list-emacs-open-files: done")
>       (let    (
>                (buf_list (buffer-list))
>               )

Yikes!  Why do you insist on formatting Lisp code as if it were C or
(God forbid) Pascal?  It makes it very hard to read and comprehend.

> Alas, it doesn't work.  It does work from within emacs by
> calling M-x list-emacs-open-files or by eval'ing
> (signal-process (emacs-pid) 10).
> When doing kill -USR1 <emacs-pid>, all that happens is I get a
> visual bell, the file is not written.
> An strace reveals that the signal is sent allright.
>
> I am doing something wrong, but what?

Well, is your function at all called?  Does the message you produce at
the beginning of your function gets inserted into the *Messages*
buffer?

In other words, the first question you should answer is: is the
signal delivered to Emacs and handled, but your function has a bug,
or is the signal itself handled incorrectly by Emacs?

And it will help immensely if you tell what version of Emacs is that
and on what platform.