Re: problem with mule-utf-8 ?

From: Janusz S. Bień
Subject: Re: problem with mule-utf-8 ?
Date: 08 Sep 2003 07:47:24 +0200

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003  "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:

> > From: Pascal Bourguignon <spam@thalassa.informatimago.com>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 06 Sep 2003 16:59:24 +0200
> >
> > So,  what's  the  matter?  I  thought that  unicode  inclued  all  the
> > characters,  and  that  utf-8  was  able  to  transcribe  all  unicode
> > character, or not?
> >
> > Of course, I insist and save  it with utf-8 encoding, then when I load
> > this utf-8 file later, I get rectangle frames instead of katakana...
>
> In what version of Emacs?
> All released versions of Emacs support
> only part of the BMP.  Specifically, these ranges of Unicode
> codepoints are supported:
>
>   0100..33ff
>   e000..ffff
>
> If katakana characters are not in these ranges, you cannot have them
> in unicode.

You can extend Unicode support with mule-ucs. This is the excerpt
from the output of Help -> Find Extra Packages.

 * Mule-UCS: Universal Encoding System:
   <URL:ftp://ftp.m17n.org/pub/mule/Mule-UCS/>
   Extended coding systems for Mule, specifically for reading and
   writing UTF-8 encoded Unicode.  This does more than the built-in
   utf-8 coding system, specifically covering a lot of Far Eastern
   characters.  (See the entry in PROBLEMS concerning slow startup of
   Mule-UCS.)

> The CVS version of Emacs can (I think) convert katakana to Unicode
> when encoding and decoding text.  I also think you can have this with
> released versions if you install ucs-tables (look on
> gnu.emacs.sources).

If you are going to use CVS, you may as well try emacs-unicode :-).

Regards

Janusz

--
                     ,